Heartburn and its symptoms
Heartburn, also known as pyrosis or acid indigestion is a burning sensation in the chest, just behind the breastbone or in the epigastrium. The pain often rises in the chest and may radiate to the neck, throat, or angle of the jaw.
Heartburn occurs as a consequence of such diseases like gastritis, cholecystitis, peptic ulcer with hyperacidity, hiatal hernia, or diaphragmatic hernia and others. Heartburn is not only connected with the spitting of acid stomach contents into the esophagus, but also with dysmotility of the duodenum, esophagus and stomach.
Healthy people can also have heartburn because of their personal intolerance of any food or because of eating piquant foods, of drinking excessive amounts of alcohol. Each person has her\his own reasons of the heartburn. But the following tips should be observed by everybody, who wants to get rid of the heartburn.
1) Always chew food carefully: about 50 chewing movements for each piece. Especially if you have to eat dry rations. As yogi often says: «solid food is for drinking, and liquid food is for eating».
2) Do not eat between meals. It’s not only because of keeping the shape. After half an hour after eating digestive juices exude, which fills the stomach along with the food. When you start to eat supplement food, digestive juices exude to the esophagus. So is causes heartburn.
3) Different chips, crackers, salted nuts are commonly consumed between meals, which directly contradicts the previous paragraph, so you should give up eating them.
4) Eat when you’re hungry. Sensation of hunger means that the stomach has digested the food, so you can re-fill it.
If you follow these rules, after a week or two you will be able to get rid of heartburn completely. If your case is neglected, at first you have to give up with consuming coffee, chocolate, tomato and citrus.
Folk remedies of treating the heartburn:
1) Since ancient times barley or oats were successfully used. You just need to chew a few grains for a couple of minutes, and then swallow saliva to calm heartburn.
2) Eat 1 tablespoon of crushed walnuts or almonds.
3) Take 1 tablespoon of freshly squeezed juice of raw potatoes twice a day. If you have strong heartburn, you can take two spoons.
4) Alkaline mineral water such as Borjomi also helps. But do not take baking soda because it will spoil your stomach! Try to limit the amount of fatty foods in your daily menu and take more water.
5) If any of means don’t help you, you have bad nutrition. A daily bowl of buckwheat porridge could also help.
6) Apple cider vinegar can also help. Dissolve one tablespoon of vinegar and honey in a glass of warm water and take at the first sign of heartburn.
7) The acid of apples reduces the burning of stomach: it is best to eat them fresh with a peel.
8) The juice from soft fruits like pears, guava, mango, papaya. Exclude citrus juices.
9) Such spices as cardamom, tea with cinnamon, ginger tea could also help.
10) Salvia not only prevents heartburn, but also strengthens the stomach.